Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2003-04
Ashington (h) Northumberland Senior Cup
Tuesday 14th October 2003, 7pm

Venue: Whitley Park


2 admission, teamsheet only.

Newcastle United Reserves

2 - 0 Ashington


8 mins Offiong header 1-0

Half time: Newcastle 1 Colliers 0

89 mins LuaLua shot 2-0

Full time: Newcastle 2 Colliers 0 

We said

Tommy Craig said:

"I had a chat with the players this week and told them that they haven't won anything yet. So far this season we've got them to repeat some very good performances but I don't want any complacency.

"We've won five in a row in the Premier (reserve) League but you can easily lose three in a row if you're not careful.

"The Colliers were always in the game until the last few minutes when we got the second goal. We missed a few chances but to be fair Ashington have given us a good test on the night.

"They were a well organised side and a tough nut to crack."


Newcastle Reserves began their defence of the Northumberland Senior Cup at Whitley Park on Tuesday with a victory against Northern League Division Two Side Ashington, who had recently lost to Grantham in the FA Cup.

However, the 2-0 final score failed to do justice to the part the non-league side played in this tie, with the win only secured in the final seconds of the game.

Things looked to be going smoothly enough for the Magpies when Richard Offiong nodded a Ferrell centre over stranded Colliers 'keeper Paul Simpson after just eight minutes for the opening goal of the game.

And when Simpson was penalised for colliding with Martin Brittain on 17 minutes, the tie looked to be heading out of reach of the visitors.

However, after escaping with a yellow card, Simpson blocked Lewis Guy's penalty to keep his side in the contest.

Newcastle continued to create and miss chances, with most penetration coming from Martin Brittain down the right flank. On numerous occasions his crosses into the box caused problems, but neither Offiong nor Guy could capitalise.

And when Offiong turned provider in the 25th minute, Brittain went it alone but dragged his shot just past the post. It wasn't all one way traffic though, with Caldow sending a glancing header just past the post five minutes before the interval.

A quiet opening to the second period saw Timmons booked for impeding Guy, but again United failed to test Simpson in the Colliers goal.

United did think that they'd got the crucial second on 66 minutes, but Guy was flagged offside as he turned a rebound from a fierce Orr shot into the net.

Three minutes later Offiong made way for on-song academy striker Guy Bates, but still that second goal wasn't forthcoming.

And when the Colliers brought on the prolific Alan Hogg for the final quarter of an hour, the mood of the Ashington contingent brightened considerably, their striking idol having been sidelined through injury so far this season.

With 11 minutes remaining, Ashington survived another penalty scare, when Kris Gate looked have been illegally felled in the box. Play went on though and when Bates was allowed to turn in the area and tee up Andy Ferrell, the midfielder should have done better than blast wide.

Play was held up with 6 minutes to go after an accidental clash of heads that saw both Douglas and Orr leave the field, the latter bleeding from a head wound.

Then in the 88th minute the visitors made and missed their golden chance when Drysdale's perfect cross was met by Hogg, who sent his 15 header agonisingly wide of the Newcastle goal.

That miss was made all the more costly when within a minute, United had claimed the tie after Guy Bates netted with a curling effort from the right hand corner of the area.



Page last updated 14 July, 2016